.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Greyson Chance's debut album set for August release



Greyson Chance -- the teen singer/songwriter who just over a year ago became a YouTube sensation with a cover of Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi" -- has announced that his debut album, "Hold On 'Til the Night," will be released on August 2 through Ellen DeGeneres' eleveneleven imprint, in tandem with Maverick/Geffen.

Chance stopped by "Ellen" on Monday to announce the release date and perform his new single, "Unfriend You," and he tells Billboard.com that he counts Snow Patrol and Coldplay as his main influences on the album, which will feature soul, rock and pop stylings. He also says that a handful of songs, including "Unfriend You," will focus on heartbreak and overcoming personal struggles -- a pair of subjects he's all too familiar with, even at 13.

"When all this first started ... they started putting me in the studio and I was cutting records, and it was a mixture of being excited and being very nervous," says Chance. "I didn't really know who I was at this moment, so I took this record to evolve into myself and put myself in my music. And also, I was going through a heartbreak at the time, and that's where most of the lyrics come from. This record really helped me gain courage and strength, and for the fans, I hope they gain courage and strength from it as well."

Chance recently wrapped a co-headlining tour with fellow teen star Cody Simpson, and recently shot a music video for "Unfriend You" that he says will include "an artistic piano scene" as well as a lot of silly string. Chance says that he has a few things left to tweak on the full-length, and will return to Los Angeles next month to finish it up with producers The Matrix (Jason Mraz, Avril Lavigne) and Ron Fair (Lady Gaga, the Black Eyed Peas).

"I'm gonna' be yelling at the producers going, 'Noo, turn that drum up, turn that drum down!' and they're gonna be going, 'No, you're 13, shut up!'" he says with a laugh. "It's all in good fun ... we have so much fun in the studio and they really respect what I'm trying to do with my music, and I respect them as well."

Source