.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Nick Jonas Admits Disney Nor Religion Has Constrained Him As An Artist In VMAN: Cover Story




Nick Jonas is growing up fast. He’s proved he can hold his own with his solo tour selling out crowds nation-wide, and in the latest issue of VMAN, on newsstands today, we learn what it takes to truly hold the rockstar status this Jonas Brother has reached. He may be the youngest of the Jonas clan, but Nick is wise beyond his years — and that is evident in both his new record, and in his perspective.

If the uber-sexy photos aren’t enough for you to believe this boy wonder is all man, then a deeper dive into this candid interview will surely sell you on it. Perhaps it all goes back to the music. Nick has been inspired by some of the most classic artists of all time. “My real musical discovery started when I was 10 with Stevie Wonder and the Jackson 5, and acts that I connected with because they were young when they were doing it, like me,” Nick told the magazine. “Then I kind of came into my own a couple of years later, I found new artists that shaped my musical landscape. For instance, Kings of Leon played a big part in that.”


Music isn’t the only thing Nick is passionate about, however. He is admittedly very religious, and his faith is at the epicenter of who he is. “My faith plays a big part in who I am: a Christian guy playing pop-rock music. I’m in a pop-rock band, not a Christian band,” he says. In an industry saturated with over-sexed pop stars, Nick has held true to his beliefs and never tainted his “clean” image that has embodied him from day one.




Nick’s new record, Who I Am, reflects a more intense side of the pop star, with lyrics that are a far cry from what the Jonas brothers normally sing about. Nick says, “Yeah, there are songs that aren’t necessarily happy songs. They more make you think. That’s intriguing to me, just as a beautiful but sad movie might be.”




When asked about whether his religion, or Disney, or anything else constrained him to a clean image, Nick responds, “Constrained is the wrong word. The best way to describe it would be thoughtful, just thinking everything through. Okay, so, it’s not all uplifting on the record, but when I do a meet and greet with the fans, or any interaction with them, I’m smiling; I’m happy; I’m trying to make them happy. With the record, with the art, I do want to express myself fully; express the thoughts and stories and ideas that I have. And I think on this record I did the best job I could with that.”

It’s clear that Nick is evolving, and his music and attitude reflect that growth. The one thing that holds true is the dedication of his fans. His shows still sell out, and his albums climb the charts. No matter what he produces, it’s golden — and nobody can argue with that.

Source