.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

'Ramona and Beezus' star Selena Gomez juggles fashion, music and film with off-screen maturity



Selena Gomez has accomplished more in her 18 years than most people pull off in 70. The teenage beauty has already appeared in three television movies, released a debut album, which was certified gold, and produced her own Kmart clothing line. Now the star of Disney Channel's "Wizards of Waverly Place" takes to the big screen as Beezus Quimby in the cinematic adaptation of author Beverly Cleary's classic "Ramona and Beezus."

In your new movie, you play the older sister, Beezus. Could you relate to the character?
I think every teenage girl understands what Beezus is going through. She is very responsible and I admire that. When I was younger I always wanted to please my parents. I wanted to come home with an amazing drawing or amazing painting or something and say, "Are you proud of me?" This family is very similar to my family. The kids want to impress the parents and the parents are going to say they love what their kids create even if it's the ugliest thing.

How did you try to impress your parents?
Whenever I watched a concert on television, I always said I wanted people to stand and clap for me. Then I would write songs and perform them for my parents. The lyrics were terrible, stuff about the sky and hearts and love. But every time, my family would stand up and applaud.

You're 18 but you play a 15-year-old in the movie. Was that tough?
I had to adjust my look. I wore sports bras for a flatter look. I also had to be really uncomfortable in my skin, which is actually hard for me to do. There were times when the director would remind me to act less comfortable. The kiss scene was particularly awkward. I mean, don't you remember, being 15 and having a girl crush? It's humiliating, embarrassing and terrible.

Do you visit New York City a lot?
Yes I do. I love New York. Not the heat, of course, but I'm from Texas, so I'm used to it. I go to Patsy's Restaurant to have pizza because that's where I'm told Frank Sinatra went. And I love Frank Sinatra. And then I go to Serendipity Cafe and have some hot chocolate.

What's your advice for young New Yorkers who want to become movie stars?
You have to be passionate. The amount of negativity in this business brings you down so much that you have to love it to do it. Fortunately, I love my music, my show, my fans and my clothing line. My passion makes everything worth it despite the negativity.

Your new fashion line hit the shelves in mid-July. What styles are you into?
I love flowing dresses that are really comfy. I also like jeggings, which look like jeans but are actually tights. I want to make clothes that everyone can wear and will never go out of style.

Source